Theory and Benefits of Dictation
Dictation is one way that anzan is practiced in our program. The teacher calls out a series of numbers and operations while children listen and follow by working on the abacus they have built in their minds. To fully understand and appreciate the effort and ability a child displays during dictation, ask someone to call out random numbers to you and try to solve them using regular arithmetic. See if you can compete with them!
Dictation Aids Children in These Ways:
- Listening skills skyrocket
- Ability to focus on the task at hand reaches new levels
- Comprehension of basic math and rules increases
- Confidence in oneself increases
- Performance in school and beyond increases: an excellent side effect of learning to play on the soroban